Monday, July 22, 2013

Healthful Treats

I've always had a sweet tooth, but lately, I've been looking for more healthful treats.

Banana Raisin Walnut Oat Bars

Last weekend, I tried these bars made from bananas, applesauce, milk, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and oats. I added some walnuts, which I'd probably roast next time for more flavor. I liked that the bars weren't very sweet - just whatever sugar was already in the fruit - but they were a bit bland. I'd add a little salt, maybe some orange zest, and some more spices (cloves, ginger, cardamom) next time to spruce things up a bit. Still, I'd make these cookies again.

And, then there were the chickpea, peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies.

Chickpea Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Interesting. I liked the texture of these a lot, though I think I'd add a touch more peanut butter to bring out that flavor. They were filling, too, with the chickpeas adding a bit of protein. I think these would be good for an energy boost on hikes or long bike rides.

Anyway...We had another busy week at Madder Root. We got some wholesale orders out to Window Panes in Bar Harbor, ME and Conklin's Maine Mercantile in Belfast, ME. We also sent out a bundle of tea towels made special for the Maine Grain Alliance to Skowhegan, ME. The oats tea towels will make their debut at the Kneading Conference starting Wednesday. The towels will also be at the Artisan Bread Fair this coming Saturday, July 27th (if there's any left by then!!). We'll have a booth set up Saturday, as well, so we do hope to see you there!

If you've got a favorite recipe you'd like to share, please comment below. You can also check us out at our facebook page or at our Etsy shop.

Hope your week's a good one!




No comments:

Post a Comment