Monday, August 12, 2013

The Pickling Project

Even though I hold out no hope of matching the puckeringly good tastiness of Morse's pickles in North Waldoboro, ME, I still wanted to try my hand at canning dill pickles again this year.


The cucumbers came from the Orono Farmers' Market.


 The garlic and dill are from my little veggie garden in the back yard.


I did learn to keep the jars in a simmering water bath as I pack them. Lost two jars when they cooled off too much. They broke when I put them back in the boiling water. I was glad I only lost two.


The weather was nice enough to set up the water bath outside on the porch. I like not having to heat up the house.


Done! I think BF and I canned 26 pints altogether. We got into a nice rhythm by the third batch. The hardest part of pickling cucumbers is waiting until they're ready to eat.


OK, off to do some work. We are getting ready for the Gilsland Farms Arts and Fine Crafts Show this coming Saturday and Sunday (August 17-18). The farm is a sanctuary maintained by the Maine Audubon, so we are really looking forward to checking it out. We hope that, if you are in the area, you will stop by our booth and say hello!

Have questions or want to tell us about your tips to getting that perfect pickle? Leave a comment below, check out our facebook page, or leave us a convo at our Etsy shop


No comments:

Post a Comment